I am continuing my new found love of baking today with marshmallow cupcakes! They are a delicious sponge cupcake with a gooey marshmallow filling topped with a vanilla and marshmallow frosting. So here's how to make them!
(For the Cakes)
120g Plain Flour
140g Caster Sugar
1 and a half tsp Baking Powder
a pinch of Salt
45g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
120ml Whole Milk
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
12 Medium Pink Marshmallows
(For the Frosting)
250g Icing Sugar
80g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
25ml Whole Milk
2 Drops of Vanilla Extract
200g Mini Marshmallows
1. Preheat oven to 170C/ 325F/ Gas Mark 3 and place 12 Cupcake or Muffin cases in a 12 hole tin.
2. Put the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and butter together in a large bowl and beat together until everything is well combined and has the consistency of sand.
3. Pour half of the milk into the mixture and mix until it has been incorporated.
4. In a separate bowl mix the remaining milk together with the egg and vanilla extract for a few seconds and then add this to the other mixture and continue mixing until the mixture is smooth, be careful not to over beat.
5. Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for 20-25 minutes until the cakes are golden in colour and springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes in the tray before transferring them to a wire rack to cool thoroughly.
6. Next place the medium marshmallows into a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and leave until they are smooth and melted.
7. Now that the cakes have cooled, hollow out a small amount out of the middle of each one and fill it with a dollop of the melted marshmallows, then leave to cool.
8. To make the frosting, beat the icing sugar and butter together until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
9. Combine the milk and vanilla extract together in a separate bowl then add this to the butter and sugar mixture a couple of table spoonfuls at a time, once all of the milk has been incorporated beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.
10. Now stir the mini marshmallows into the frosting by hand (it helps if your hands are wet at this stage) until they are evenly dispersed. Then spoon this over the cakes.
The cupcake recipe is from the Hummingbird Bakery from the Good to Know website.
I found the recipe for the vanilla frosting from Ocado Recipes
I hope that you give them a try and enjoy them!