Today I decided to make some delicious cupcakes, it was a last minute decision to bake this morning as we have guests coming over unexpectedly tonight so I had to rustle something up with what we had in! These cupcakes are a plain vanilla sponge topped with a white chocolate frosting and sugar stars.
For the Cake:
150g Butter, Softened
150g Caster Sugar
150g Self Raising Flour
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tbsp Milk
For the Frosting:
100g White Chocolate
140g Unsalted Butter
140g Icing Sugar
Optional - Decorations e.g. Hundreds and Thousands (I used Sugar Stars from Sainsburys).
1. Pre heat oven to 180C/ Gas Mark 4 and place 12 cupcake cases in a cupcake tray.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy then gradually add the eggs, one at a time followed by the vanilla extract until all of the ingredients have been incorporated and the mixture is smooth.
3. Sift in half of the flour and fold it in.
4. Now stir in the milk and then fold in the remaining flour.
5. Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 15-20 until the cakes are golden in colour and springy to the touch.
6. Remove the cakes from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
7. To make the frosting first break the white chocolate into pieces and place in a large bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring often until the chocolate has melted then set aside to cool.
8. When the white chocolate has cooled use an electric hand whisk to beat the icing sugar and butter together until smooth and creamy then add the white chocolate and continue to whisk until the mixture has the consistency of whipped cream.
9. Spoon the frosting onto the cakes and then sprinkle decorations on top if you wish, I use sugar stars.
And there you have it! 12 gorgeous cupcakes! Not bad for a last minute baking session! These cakes have a lovely light texture which are complemented by the chocolate frosting! I hope that you have enjoyed this post and will give the recipe a try!