Today I made a gorgeous lemon sponge cake as requested by my mum! It is made up of 2 layers of lemon sponge with a lemon curd filling and topped with white and yellow icing with some white chocolate buttons. It is kind of a Victoria sponge cake crossed with a Lemon Drizzle cake! Here's how to make it.
For the Cake
225g/ 8oz Self Raising Flour
225g/8oz Caster Sugar
Grated Zest of 1 Lemon
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
For the Filling:
Approx 4 tbsp Lemon Curd
For the Topping:
225g/8oz Icing Sugar
The Juice of 1-2 Lemons
Tube of Yellow Icing
White Chocolate Buttons
1. Pre heat the oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas Mark 4 and line/ grease 2 sponge tins.
2. Whisk the caster sugar and butter together in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
3. Whisk in one egg at a time until all of the eggs have been added and the batter is smooth.
4. Fold in half of the sifted flour then add the lemon zest and juice and the remaining flour, continue to fold the ingredients together until everything has been incorporated.
5. Spoon the batter into the 2 tins and bake for around 35 minutes until the cakes are a golden brown colour and are springy to touch. A skewer should come out of the cake clean. Allow the cakes to cool.
6. Once the cakes have cooled spread the lemon curd onto the top of one of them and then sandwich the other cake on top of it.
7. To make the icing simply empty the icing sugar into a large bowl and add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and mix, adding more lemon juice slowly until the icing becomes smooth and not too runny. Spread this over the top of the cake.
8. Allow the icing to set for a couple of minutes and then use your tube of yellow icing to create a pattern on the top. I just drew straight (ish) lines across the cake and then added chocolate buttons!
This cake is so moist and delicious and full of lemon flavour. I love the addition of the chocolate buttons on the top too. This is a definite winner for me! Give it a try!