As you can see, I have been busy baking in the kitchen again today and I have made Lemon and Almond Cupcakes with Lemon Icing topped with Hundreds and Thousands. They are super easy to make (just how I like it) and taste great! They are a brilliant change from your standard cupcakes.
110g Unsalted Butter
110g Caster Sugar
60g Ground Almonds
2 Medium Eggs, lightly beaten
60g Self Raising Flour
2 tbsp Lemon Curd
For the Icing:
8oz Icing Sugar
2 - 4 tbsp Lemon Juice
1. Pre heat the oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas Mark 4 and place 12 cupcake cases into your tin.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until pale and fluffy then stir in the ground almonds.
3. Add the beaten eggs, a little at a time and make sure that each measure has been fully mixed in before adding the next amount.
4. Fold in the flour.
5. Divide up the mixture between the 12 cases.
6. Next add a half a teaspoon of lemon curd to each cake and then gently swirl it into the mixture with the tip of a knife.
7. Place in the oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until risen and slightly golden in colour.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for a while before transferring them to a wire rack to cool fully.
9. When the cakes have cooled prepare the icing. Place the icing sugar in a bowl and add the lemon juice 1 tablespoon at a time until you have reached your desired consistency.
10. Finally spoon the icing onto the cakes and add the hundreds and thousands or a topping of your choice.
And there you have it! 12 gorgeous lemon and almond cupcakes perfect for afternoon tea!