My best friend recently asked me to bake her some gingerbread men so, as you can see, I made her an entire gingerbread community! I have never made them before but the method is quite straight forward if a little messy! They are so tasty and not too hard or strong flavoured. I got the recepe from an ancient cookbook of my mum's!
350G (12oz) Plain Flour
5ml (1tsp) Bicarbonate of Soda
10ml (2tsp) Ground Ginger
110g (4oz) Hard Block Butter
175g (6oz) Soft Light Brown Sugar
1 Egg, Beaten
60ml (4 tbsp) Golden Syrup
Icing Sugar and Smarties to decorate
1. Pre heat the oven to 190C/ 375F/ Gas Mark 5. Grease or line 2 baking trays.
2. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a large bowl.
3. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs then stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre.
4. In a seperate bowl beat the egg with the golden syrup together.
5. Poor the syrup mixture into the flour and make a firm dough, kneed the dough until it is smooth.
6. Roll the dough out until it is around 5mm thick and use your cutters to cut out the shapes. You don't have to make gingerbread men, you could do hearts, stars or ordinary round biscuits!
7. Transfer them onto the baking trays and bake for approximately 12 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Remove them from the oven and allow to cool on the baking tray for a couple of minutes before transferring them onto a wire rack to dry thoroughly.
9. When cool decorate them.
As I said these taste amazing so give them a try!