I have been busy making cupcakes today and decided to make some ginger and chocolate ones. I love the flavour of ginger and using use it in biscuits so I wanted a change! Here's how I made them:
110g Caster Sugar
2 Medium Eggs
75g Self Raising Flour
2 tsp Ground Ginger
2-3 Drops Vanilla Extract
For the Icing:
75g Softened Butter
175g Icing Sugar
3 tbsp Cocoa Powder
1. Pre heat the oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas Mark 4 and place 12 cupcake cases in a cupcake tray.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy then add the eggs one at a time followed by the vanilla extract.
3. Fold in the sifted flour along with the ginger and divide the mixture up between the 12 cases.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully.
5. To make the icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl and whisk with the butter. Then stir in the cocoa powder until the mixture is smooth. Pipe or spoon the frosting on top of the cakes and decorate as desired.
These cupcakes are really simple and easy to make and the sponge smells delicious when its baking!
I found this recipe on the Dr Oetker website.