Today I have made chocolate and cherry cupcakes which are a basic vanilla cupcake with a milk chocolate ganache topped with half a glace cherry. Here's how to make them.
For the Cakes
110g Butter, softened
110g Caster Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
110g Self Raising Flour
2 tbs Milk
For the Topping
100g Milk Chocolate
100ml Double Cream
6 Glace Cherries
1. Pre heat oven to 190C and place 12 cupcake cases in a bun tray.
2. Whisk the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy then add the eggs, a little at a time followed by the vanilla extract until all of the ingredients have been incorporated.
3. Now sift in half of the flour and fold. Then add the milk and stir in and finally fold in the remaining flour.
4. Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for around 12 minutes until golden brown and springy to touch. Leave the cakes to cool in the tray for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool thoroughly.
5. To make the chocolate ganache break the chocolate into pieces and place it in a pan along with the cream over a low heat stirring continuously until melted then place in the fridge until it is of a spreadable constituency.
6. When you are happy that the ganache has set enough spread it onto the cakes and top with half a glace cherry.
How great do they look? Obviously this is a pretty simple, basic recipe but it's a goody! The sponge is lovely and light and goes so well with the rich, creamy chocolate topping. I hope that you have enjoyed this post and will give it a try.