Today I decided to make a cherry and almond cake which is a recipe that I've been wanting to make for a while now. It is a lovely, traditional, rich sponge cake with a gorgeous almond flavour with cherries and flaked almonds on the top. Here's how to make it.
200g Golden Caster Sugar
1/2 tsp Almond Extract
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
175g Self Raising Flour
85g Ground Almonds
300g Glace Cherries
2 tbsp Flaked Almonds
1. Pre heat oven to 160C/ Gas Mark 3 and line a deep, 30cm cake tin.
2. Whisk the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy and then add the eggs one by one until all of the ingredients have been fully incorporated.
3. Next fold in the flour, ground almonds and baking powder followed by the cherries and milk.
4. Next transfer the mixture into the cake tin and scatter the almonds onto the top.
5. Bake in the oven for 1 hour - 1 hour, 15 minutes in the oven until the cake is a golden brown colour and a skewer comes out clean.
6. Leave the cake to cool in the tin.
N.B. You can chop the cherries or wash and coat them in the flour to try to stop them all from sinking to the bottom, as you can see, this didn't work for me though!
This cake is so tasty and is really quick and easy to make! This is a James Martin recipe that I found on the BBC Good Food website.